About Me

My photo
Harrisburg, NC, United States
UK transplant living in the US with husband and 2 beautiful US bred children.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Our first break.....make that two!!!!

After a nice Easter Sunday trip to the Zoo our week started off quite quiet so I thought based on the past 3 Spring Breaks we have been away.  Bombshell had Monday off at home with the kids but I has to return to work.

Upon returning home I see Bambeano sitting on the drive way holding his arm.  I asked him what was wrong and he told me he broke his arm falling 2ft.  My first thought was why hadn't Bombshell called me, why wasn't he checked out, a quick glance over at Bombshell revealed that maybe Bambeano was milking Mummy for all she is worth.....I mean who can deny the sweet smile


So I asked Bombshell what had happened and he told me Bambeano fell off the swing tower at our neighbors but he was fine, I was horrified he hadn't been taken to the Dr but after speaking with my neighbors and learning he was playing the Xbox after it happened I thought how serious could it be......

Roll forward 2 hours and now it was about 7.30pm and I asked both kids to go and get ready for bed, Bambeano appeared to get up from his chair and used his arms for support, I watched intensely thinking so much for a sore arm and before I could finish my thought Bambeano collapsed in a heap and screamed in pain, that was enough of a sign he needed to go to Urgent Care.

I thought given it was a suspected broken arm I should take him to the local orthopedic urgent care but that was 15 minutes away and there was an urgent care right by the house that I knew had xray equipment do I opted for there.  BAD MISTAKE....the place was heaving (translation to my US readers BUSY)

So finally at 8.40pm (20 minutes before they closed no less) they finally call us back.  2 quick xrays of the wrist (no elbow shot but two of the same shot) and another side view they gave us a clean bill of health and sent us home with a brace and sling and the verdict - SPRAIN.

 


Tuesday another day home with Bombshell and Bambeano is running around with the neighbors, thank goodness for that.......SO I THOUGHT

Wednesday morning both Bombshell and I had to be at work, Bombshell was stating his arm hurt and was crying, it did seem a little swollen but we had confirmation it was just a sprain, right!!!!!

So a shot of Motrin and I sent him on his way to camp......I got to work and something told my gut that I should take him to his Dr but I thought I may be seen as one of the neurotic mothers who thought their child should see every Dr in the world.  After some great advice at work I called his Dr's office to speak to a nurse to tell her my concerns and see what they thought I should do.  They were very quick to note he should be seen immediately, a child with a sprain does not have pain intensify nor does swelling suddenly appear.  So I left work pondering my 30 minute drive home that I doubted my baby that he was hurt then trying to convince myself the xrays showed nothing.....

We get to his Dr office and after a short wait she looked at him and asked where it hurt, he stated his wrist and elbow, I was quite bewildered that he could be hurt in two spots with nothing between but the Dr obviously wasn't.  She asked him to rotate his arm, palm up and palm down, he winced and stated he couldn't do it as it hurt too much.

She immediately turned to me and told me it was far more serious than a sprain and we had to go to the Orthopedics (y'know the place I wanted to go on Monday but talked myself out of it as it was further away)  So off we went to the one near Bombshell's work as they had a pediatric wing.  After a very short wait we were called back.  I again described what happened and they asked if elbow xrays were taken.  When I responded no they said they would take fresh xrays anyway instead of asking for the ones from Monday.  We had 2 taken, full arm bent and then full arm rotated, poor buddy was in so much pain I had to fashion the lovely heavy apron so I could stay with him while the Xray was taken.

We were taken back to our room and literally 10 minutes later the Dr came in to tell me there was a break, not one but two!!!!!!  The computer screen came on and I saw his xrays in all their glory.  As I started to fight back the tears I clearly saw the break at his wrist and the other at his elbow on his radius which is why he couldn't rotate his arm.  I was so upset that I doubted him and his pain and the fact I made him go to camp, poor buddy.

The Dr proceeded to tell me he would be in a cast, the "L" cast as I like to call it, Bambeano got to choose the color, pay close attention to the coordination of the shoes (See below), and he even got a cast for his puppy.  The Dr told me not to worry everything would be fine, I mouthed to her (as I didn't want Bambeano hear or see) that I didn't believe him :(

So you remember our fateful record trips in 2010 of busy ER, Urgent Care trips, this might be the start of 2012, here's hoping NOT!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment